top of page

How to Get a Residence Permit in Turkey? Who can apply and what is the procedure?

Foreigners who move to Turkey to remain or to work shall obtain a residence and/or a work permit under the Law on Foreigners and International Protection No. 6458.

The application made to the competent authorities, and the legal follow-up of the procedures is essential for the relevant application to be concluded quickly and without loss of rights. With our legal experience and knowledge, we practice all kinds of services regarding residence- work permits and citizenship for foreigners and provide fast and result-oriented legal solutions.


Foreigners who enter Turkey with a valid passport or travel document may be entitled to stay in Turkey during the visa or visa exemption period. Nevertheless, according to the Law of Foreigners and International Protection, foreigners who want to stay in Turkey beyond the duration of a visa or a visa exemption or longer than ninety (90) days should obtain a residence permit. The residence permit for foreigners, issued by the competent authorities, grants foreigners to live in Turkey for a given time and is essential for establishing and protecting public order.


Required documents for applications vary depending on the residence permit types. The residence permit types will be determined by the purpose of being in Turkey and the type of visa.


1. Short-Term Residence Permit:

  • The Law on Foreigners and International Protection Article 31/1 specifies the requirements of the short-term residence permit. Accordingly, a short-term residence permit application can be made by foreigners listed below who:

  • Arrives to conduct scientific research,

  • Owns immovable property in Turkey,

  • Establishes business or commercial connections,

  • Participates in on-the-job training programs,

  • Arrives to attend educational or similar programs as part of student exchange programs or agreements to which the Republic of Turkey is a party,

  • Wishes to stay for tourism purposes,

  • Intends to receive medical treatment, provided that they do not have a disease posing a public health threat,

  • Is required to stay in Turkey according to a request or a decision of judicial or administrative authorities,

  • Transfers from a family residence permit,

  • Attends a Turkish language course,

  • Attends an education program, research, internship or a course by way of a public agency,

  • Applies within six (6) months upon graduation from a higher education program in Turkey,

  • Foreigners who do not work in Turkey but will invest within the scope and amount to be determined by the President, their foreign spouse, and their minor or dependent children,

  • Citizens of the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus.

2. Family Residence Permit

It is aimed that the foreigner who can obtain this permit has family status. Under the Law on Foreigners and International Protection, the family residence permit is granted to the "family members," depending on the person who can be defined as "sponsor."

According to the Law on Foreigners and International Protection, the "family members" of the sponsor are as follows:

  • Foreign spouse,

  • The minor child and the dependent adult child of the sponsor or their spouse.

According to the Law on Foreigners and International Protection, a “sponsor” can be:

  • A Turkish Citizen

  • "Mavi-Card" owner according to the Turkish Citizenship Law Article 28

  • Refugees and subsidiary protection beneficiaries,

  • Foreigners holding one of the residence permits and have been residing in Turkey for at least one (1) year on a residence permit.

3. Student Residence Permit:

A student residence permit shall be granted to foreigners who shall attend an associate, undergraduate, graduate, or postgraduate program in Turkey's higher education institution. However, the student residence permit may be granted to foreigners who receive primary and secondary education and whose care and expenses shall be covered by a natural or legal person.

4. Long-Term Residence Permit:

A Long-term residence permit may be granted to foreigners who have been continuously residing in Turkey for at least eight (8) years. However, the following conditions shall apply:

  • Not having received social assistance in the past three (3) years,

  • Having sufficient and stable income to maintain themselves or, if any, support their family,

  • To be covered with valid medical insurance,

  • Not to be posing a public order or security threat.

5. Humanitarian Residence Permit

According to the Law on Foreigners and International Protection Article 46, a humanitarian residence permit may be granted under the following cases:

  • Where the best interest of the child is of concern,

  • Where, notwithstanding a removal decision or ban on entering Turkey, foreigners cannot be removed from Turkey, or their departure from Turkey is not reasonable or possible,

  • In the absence of a removal decision in respect of the foreigner,

  • Where there is a judicial appeal against the action carried out due to deportation, asylum, or protection order,

  • Throughout the removal actions of the applicant to the first country of asylum or a safe third country,

  • In cases when foreigners should be allowed to enter into and stay in Turkey, due to emergency, protection of the national interest or public order and security, in the absence of the possibility to obtain one of the other types of residence permits due to their situation that precludes granting a residence permit,

  • In extraordinary circumstances.

6. Residence Permits For Victims of Human Trafficking

A residence permit valid for thirty (30) days shall be granted, by the governorates, to foreigners who are victims of human trafficking or where there is strong circumstantial evidence that they might be victims to allow them to break from the impact of their experience and reflect on whether to cooperate with the competent authorities.

7. Residence Permit for Foreign Diplomatic Personnel and their Family Members

Please contact us for detailed information and legal support services.


bottom of page